GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Celebration of Old Age and Gray Hairs

A lot of people grow up without someone around them that they can look to and hope they will one day be a like.
For me, this is far from true.  Besides having incredible examples in my parents, I have had the joy and privilege of knowing my grandparents deeply.  God gave me 5 years of living with them in the same house during college as well as being able to watch them live and work here in our host country when I was younger.  We have a deep love for one another.  They support and encourage me from a distance.  Without a doubt, they will welcome me home no matter what state I return in.  I love them. They love me. 

Several months ago I travelled out to a village/city where several men shared of how they came to Jesus  began to serve him faithfully, much because of the influence of my grandpa.  One passed around pictures from years before.  My grandparents were there, just much younger! They have served the Lord faithfully for years! What a heritage! What a blessing! What an inspiration! What a thing to celebrate!

This morning I read: O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. Psalm 71:17-18

My heart flew to the memories of my grandparents. For years they have proclaim God's wondrous deeds. They have hearts of praise and thanksgiving. How many times have we sat together and sang songs of worship together! For years now they have proclaimed the might of God to my sisters, brother and I. Not only that, they have declared his power to my children, their grand children. My Grandma and Grandpa continue to hope in the Lord even though extremely difficult times.  They have made the Lord their hope, their trust and their refuge. Their lives are testimony of God's faithfulness and of his kind love and care to his children, "even to old age." Their marriage is a testimony of God's grace and of their submission to his plan for faithfulness and dependence on him to carry them through the years.  Today they celebrate their wedding anniversary. 
Today I celebrate old age and gray hair because of our faithful and gracious Father. Today I celebrate my Grandparents!

Thank you God for my Grandparents!



Celebrating old age, 
m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections