GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Regret or Rejoice

Yesterday I saw a short piece on regret, claiming that most people, at the end of their lives, are not filled with remorse over the things they DID but rather they start to struggle with feelings of regret over the things that they DIDN'T do. 

Life is full of choices. Yes, sometimes we can look back and wish we had done things differently. But the reality is there is always more we could have done. Or is there? We are sinful, broken, weak and frail, prone to selfishness and pride. But the hopeful "bad" news of the gospel is: You can't do enough. You don't measure up. You won't make the right choices. Even your good works are filthy rags. The "good" news in the gospel is that: Christ does measure up. Christ made all the right choices. Christ's righteousness is ours through faith. So, looking through the lens of the cross, we look at our lives and we can rejoice in a salvation freely offered, grace immeasurably extended, trials bringing about change, and God intimately at work in our hearts to make us more and more like Christ till his work is completed. We live in hope and we die in hope. We rejoice, trusting God with what was and what wasn't.

Regret?

This mother's day I celebrate my Mom along with my Grandma. So many of the beautiful and wonderful things about my mom, I also got to experience in my Grandma. My mom is generous in her hospitality, welcoming to all types of people, faithful in loving "difficult" and "different" individuals. She is committed to her husband and family, faithful as a minster of the gospel and in praying for her family and the nations. She isn't afraid to say the hard thing and perseveres under trial. She has changed over the years, always growing to be more and more like Christ. My mom is truly amazing. And she's a lot like my Grandma who went to be with our Lord April 15th, 2016.

Not many 35 year olds can say they know their grandparents well. God, in his mercy, has granted me a strong and deep friendship with my Grandma and Grandpa. I am so richly blessed!

It began as a young girl. They lived in Pakistan, so we didn't get to see them much. But they would send books to my sister and I. Along with the books they sent a cassette tape of themselves reading the books with messages of their love for us. Sometimes Grandma would fall asleep reading (my mom must have learned that from her). Being able to listen to them read to us, even though they were half-way around the world, was so special.

When I was 8 we moved to Pakistan. During these years I got to see more of my grandparents and learn to love them and enjoy them, as they loved and enjoyed me. I remember Grandma screeching at Grandpa's driving (maybe I learned that from her) as he maneuvered through the crowded streets of Karachi. I remember her sitting at her desk counting money as the treasurer for the mission. I have never seen someone count money with such speed! We always felt welcomed in their home and saw them love on so many Pakistani's and other workers. My Grandma endured so much during her years in Pakistan. Yet Grandma remained faithful and hard working. She didn't give up.

For 5 years during University I had the joy of living downstairs from my grandparents. This time allowed us to get to know each other so well, seeing one another on a daily basis, getting up in each others business, and learning to love and live together in a way that spurred each other on. During these years I was privileged to see the habits of their life. They would faithfully rise each day and spend time together in the word and prayer. I knew that each day they prayed for each one of their children and grandchildren by name. I got to witness their love for one another as they cared for each other and never let the other leave the house without a kiss. O, how they loved each other. They continued to dedicate their lives to ministering to others as they served together in their church, at the Bible for Missions Thrift Store, and in other ministries. Growing to become more like Christ didn't stop at retirement. Living for the Lord and loving others wasn't complete. They continued on. Grandma continued to welcome people. Our friends from University of all walks of life often sat at her well prepared table at Sunday lunches or holidays. As she served amazing meals, Grandpa would converse about whatever was of interest to the guest. They always had time to give and love to offer. 

Regret?

Grandma is now with the Lord. But I want to put it on record that her life was a life that can be celebrated without regret. Grandma loved Jesus. She lived a life that demonstrated that over and over again in the way she loved others and sacrificially gave. She showed such generosity and acceptance of others but without  compromise to her faith and the Truth. She endured trials in her family, ministry, her own health, and many other trials I don't even know about. Regret isn't something that taints this day of celebration. Rather, today we, her family, rejoice over the kind of mother and grandmother and great-grandmother she was to us.

Rejoice.

I rejoice that I knew Grandma as well as I did. I rejoice that my brother, who also knew her well but was there to walk these last 3 years of dementia closely with her, can say of his of this time of trial and heartache, "I wouldn't trade these years." Why? Because he saw Grandma as a woman who, even in the very depths of dementia, could still recall hymns of praise and continued to love Jesus. I rejoice that her life given to the nations has spurred her children and grandchildren to do the same. We rejoice today because we have a Mom who is much like our Grandma. We rejoice and celebrate Mom today in part because of Grandma's example of faithfulness, love and endurance. 

Rejoice.

Today I say with confidence about my Grandma:

 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

Grandma stood fast. She remained faithful under trial. She was refined and now is worshipping before his throne!!!

Rejoice, for a life well lived.
Rejoice, for a Mom living life well.
Rejoice, for the gracious gift God granted for me to know my Grandma well.
Rejoice, for Grandma is with Jesus.
Rejoice, for I miss her without regret.
Rejoice!!!


This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice,

m

Grandma and Grandpa 2013... very, very much in love
Grandpa leading the singing at Grandma's memorial service. 
Mom and I!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections