GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Ten Things to Hold On To From the Last 3+ Years


Things I have learned over the past 3+ years are innumerable. Most would take a book long story to explain but here are the top 10 for today!

  1. God redeems transition
    Transition after transition, loss after loss, move after move, language after language, house to house, city to city, country to country, supervisor to supervisor, and on and on and on. The years are marked not by birthdays or anniversaries but by which country we were living! We really have only had the Lord and each other as steady entities in our life.
    God doesn't change, not ever, but he is in the work of transforming his children from one degree of glory to another. All the changes and losses we have felt and experienced have been for our good, to make us more like Christ. He has work for us to be part of in each place. He has blessed us with friends and leaders. He has helped us to love each place more than the next. The transitions have taught us not to strive against God's work in our lives but to submit and be conformed to his likeness more and more. Transition doesn't get easier the more you do it. But the thing that does increase is the ability to search and see how God has worked through each one. I am thankful that God has used the transition in each of our lives to only increase our need for God's consistency.
  2. Let it go.
    I think my husband would define me as a fighter, and with him I usually am. However, the years overseas have worn some of that less desirable character off. Just letting things go comes a lot more easy to me than it did 3 years ago. Whether it's issues of differences in ministry, family life, or being charged too much because I'm a foreigner, if it's not a salvation issue (and I must say, it most usually is not), why not just let it go. Life goes on, we learn, we adapt, we grow by being around people who do things differently than us. I have more room in my life for “just letting it go” but praise the Lord that some of that He has chipped away at and the temper that once was is waining, only by his grace. Only by his grace.
  3. Love God, love people
    People just want to be loved. To love people, I have got to be loving God. It is only by his love outpoured in me that I can love those around me. How can I love the filthy, the sick, the broken, the accuser, the liar, the betrayer, the thief? I can't. On my own I can't. Only by loving God will I love others. People just want to be loved. To love well. I long to love well. I long to be like Jesus, willing to touch the leper, entrust myself to the betrayer, restore the liar and deserter, to see the broken and bring healing, to see the slave and set them free. O to be like Jesus. O to love like Jesus. I must continue to learn what it means to love God, to love others.
  4. People are just people
    No matter where you are, what your language, citizenship, skin color, height, or weight, people are just people. There doesn't need to be “us” and “them.” No. There is just “us.” Sinners in need of a savior. So, whether I'm here with people mostly a differing race, tongue, and culture, or whether I am surrounded by people who look like me, speak and act similar to me, we are just with people, all with the same need. We all need Jesus. Either we need to hear about him for the first time, or we need to be strengthened in our faith to know him more. Whichever it is, we need Jesus. People are just people.
  5. Brokenness does not equal uselessness
    Laying face down on the cold floor, I have shed many tears over the sin in my own life and over pain and hurt that has surrounding me. Lifting myself out of bed some days has only happened because I have a husband that would drive me out of bed if I didn't. Studying language on the verge of tears, day after day, I have been broken. Broken for what? For discipline. Yes. That He might heal me. Yes. My life has been marked by the words of the Psalmist: If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. (Psalm 119:92)
  6. Forget judgement and move on with it
    Cultures differ. World-views are lightyears apart. In one country the common couple discussion is, “should we both work to keep up our lifestyle?” and in another, “should we feed just the boys today or do we have enough to feed our near starved daughter as well?” Am I above all others that I get to sit on a seat of judgement and blame people for where they are in life? How freeing it is to just move away from judgement, recognize that for each their problems are real to them and serious issues they must decide. I get to see differences and love my God for his diversity, rather than be bogged down with despising people for thinking on things I can't comprehend. I get to be moved with compassion for the hurting and suffering. I get to stir the hearts of the wealthy and comfortable. What a unique place God has given me. How I long to not live in judgement of what I might deem “trivial problems” of the West but that I would learn how to steer peoples thoughts toward Kingdom work and lasting investment. God help me!How I long to not judge the woman having her sixth cesarean, endangering her life and the future of her living 5 girls at home, just in the hopes that this child might be the long awaited boy. God help me!
  7. Enjoy the “interruptions”
    I love to plan. No, really, I LOVE to plan. Each week I make a calendar and hang it in front of my desk. I use a different color pen for each person. I love knowing in advance what is going to happen. Life just doesn't work that way. How much freedom I find when able to thank the Lord for the “interruptions” that come in the day instead of get uptight and irritated. Lately I have taken the example of a friend and try to commit those interruptions to the Lord and ask for his help to see them as opportunities instead. It's amazing how an interruption can turn itself on head when my heart has a different attitude and perspective.
  8. It's for my good
    From mundane things like the scorching heat to serious issues I have had to face in life over the passed 3+ years, the comfort I remind myself of on almost a daily basis is: This is for my good. God is working for me good. Never to hurt me, maybe to discipline me. Never to leave be despairing, maybe to make me trust him more. All he does for me is for my good. What an incredibly freeing truth.
  9. I'm old and language learning is hard!!!
    Two languages semi learned has left me tired of language learning. Some days I just want to throw in the towel. Then with-in days of each other this happens: I sit on the park bench and talk for an hour with a stranger I have just met... share the good news in her language (Language #1). A group of women are sitting on the grass outside the hospital waiting for the safe arrival of a new baby. I get to know them... share the good news (Language #2). Knowing their language instead of just mine has opened the door in ways nothing else could have. Nothing has been lost but all the hours of study completed and those that are to come... they are all worth it! PTL!!!
  10. All for his glory
    Any other reason for living here is insane! But because of his purpose and his plan, God makes it possible to live here, love it here, and look forward to as many years as God will give. It's all for his glory.


    What have you learned over the past 3+ years? Have you changed?

    hoping I been changed,
    m

2 comments:

  1. I was saying yesterday how I was 17 when you left and I will be 21 when I see you. Change has happened. Much for the good. I can't wait to give you the biggest hug and talk and talk and eat Seb Joe's ice cream with you! I love you love Ren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love you too. Sebastian Joe's is on the top of the list!!! You're paying! =0)... now that things have changed and all and you are 21 =0) love you
      m

      Delete

Reflections