GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

"DO NOT FEAR WHAT IS FRIGHTENING"

1 Peter 3:6b "And you are [Sarah's] children if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening."

Do you ever read the WORD and think, "God, is that just for me? Did those people 2000 years ago need to hear this or did you just throw them in there for me?"

Living overseas brings so many challenges and so many blessings.  God has been exposing lately how easily my heart is giving into fear.  My initial response to my fear has been, "Well, maybe it's not really that scary, I just need to trust God more."  But God had an answer just waiting for me!!!

God has freed me in the last couple weeks to just call what is fearful exactly what it is: fearful, frightening and sometimes downright terrifying.  As I sat in the back of a ricky old rickshaw flying down one of the smoother roads here,  Thomas turned to me and asked, "So mom, if the wheel falls off, will we just fall out or will we die?"  I looked him in the eyes and said, "We will probably die or get really hurt."  Because the reality is, I had just been thinking exactly the same thing, confessed it to the Lord as something frightening and been able to release it to him.  I then began to wondered, "When did I get so old to start thinking a rickshaw ride as potentially dangerous?"

I know that God has us here because he wants us here for our good and for the good of the Kingdom.  The dangers may be more apparent here to the Western eye, but that only makes God's power, tender care, and presence all the more apparent to us. It just makes the task of getting the Good News to as many as possible that much more urgent.

So, as I head off to the bazaar this afternoon, who knows what the Lord will bring as far as "frightening" is concerned.  But at least I know that God holds me in his tender care and that he has given me and will give me all I need to respond without fear.  By God's grace he will continue to bring me to a place of rest and peace even when things around me are frightening and use me effectively for the sake of the Kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections