GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Keeping of Traditions

I have struggled over the years to create meaningful traditions in our family.
We begin things one year, only to have moved to a new city the next making the traditions no longer possible.

On thing we have kept over the years at Christmas is some kind of advent celebration. The idea of lighting candles just makes evening devotions that much more inviting and anticipated. Advent has looked different from year to year, but we have always been able to do something.

This year Thomas was once again an integral part to the creation of our advent wreath. As we rolled out the clay, braided our wreath and got busy with the painting, I asked him what each color was going to signify as we celebrate Christ's coming.

Here are his chosen colors and meanings:

Green: Jesus lived on the earth
Red: Jesus died for our sin
Blue: For the party because Jesus is alive
Yellow: Jesus is the light of the world

So each night as we light our candle and continue on in our family devotions we are reminded that Jesus lived and died that we might have life. He is alive and he is a light in a very dark world.




Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.


Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.


Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.

Refrain

Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.

Refrain

Jesus! what a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.

Refrain

Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.

Refrain


Regardless of the tradition, I'm thankful today for a little boy who knows the meaning of our Christmas celebrations. I'm thankful for Jesus who has made me his friend, is my guide, my helper and my keeper.
I'm thankful for Christmas and the chance to remember Christ's coming has changed the course of my life and that of history, bringing God and man together. I am so thankful for Jesus!

How about you? What traditions do you have that have tested the trial of time, transition, and change?

m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections