GOOD NEWS JUNKIES DEFINED

junkie |ˈjəNGkē|(also junky ) a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something: power junkies.
good |go͝od| news |n(y)o͞oz|junkie |ˈjəNGkē|
a person with the compulsive habit of talking about and an obsessive dependency on the good news of God's plan of salvation through Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Why are we "Good News Junkies"? Part 2

A long time ago I tried to answer this question: Why are we GOOD NEWS JUNKIES? The first reason (in the first post) we are "Good News Junkies" is because Jesus removed all of the barriers to us coming to Him by dying on the cross. Because we are sinners, we now can come to God by faith. The reasons we are so crazy about the Good News is because we are sinners who can now come to God. We depend on the GRACE of JESUS. We have FORGIVENESS! We are cleansed and righteous before God! EVERYDAY, we live off of this good news! ONLY JESUS can bring us to God.

The second reason why we are Good News Junkies is because we seek PLEASURE IN JESUS. We are sinners because we prefer the pleasures of sin over the pleasures of God. No one sins out of duty. We sin because we love __________. Fill in the blank. We love our selves, we love power, we love food, we love being appreciated, we love being loved by others, we love our possessions. We sin because we are all PLEASURE SEEKERS. What comes to mind when you think of JUNKIES? I think of an addict. I think of a pleasure seeker. We are all pleasure seekers. We are all junkies. What are you crazy about? Family, friends, football? Power, sex, money? ONLY JESUS CAN SATISFY THE LONGINGS OF OUR HEART! Just listen to HIM....

John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

John 4:14 "Jesus said to [the woman at the well], “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

I long to be like Peter who said.... “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life"

I long to be like David who wrote.... "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you." and "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Ps. 73:25 and Ps. 16:11)

I long to be like Paul who wrote "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:7-8)

I pray that Jesus will keep me as a good news junkie! That I will never want to go away from Jesus because he is my joy.

We are far too easily pleased when we love other things more than Jesus. Only Jesus can satisfy!

This is a wonderful quote from C.S. Lewis...
If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly to hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing, I submit that this notion has crept in from Kant and the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith. Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections